Letters to the Editor

OPINIONS 3/30/16 5:44pm

In response to Elon's statement on House Bill 2

Letter to the Editor in response to Dan Anderson's statement on House Bill 2 by Jameson Dion, ‘06:  Elon’s Dan Anderson made a statement recently in response to North Carolina’s legislative action.

OPINIONS 11/4/15 12:11pm

The 72 percent

In the fall of 1999, my next-door neighbor asked me how I felt about my new place after having moved from Illinois to North Carolina two months earlier.

OPINIONS 11/3/15 6:10pm

Help us help you create your life story

How meaningful are the relationships you’re creating? How purposeful are you in picking activities that will add depth to your learning? What is the contribution of Greek life to Elon’s social climate? If going to a house party isn’t your scene, what do you want to do on a weekend night?

OPINIONS 9/10/15 9:17am

True freedom is built on liberty

“True freedom is built on liberty.” This Jewish lesson instructs us that there can be no freedom without equal rights — and this includes all rights: voting rights, working rights, education rights, equal pay rights, environmental justice rights, marriage equality rights, reproductive justice rights and every right found in our great nation that is offered to any one of its citizens.

OPINIONS 9/4/15 10:22am

Multi-Faith SAGES come to Elon University

We are looking for motivated, great students to take part in a new Truitt Center program at Elon University called Multi-Faith SAGES. SAGES is for students who love religious diversity; who want to know more about their own religious and spiritual traditions, practices and beliefs and who want also to know how to interact respectfully with others.

OPINIONS 5/6/15 1:02pm

Letter to the editor

Written by Cheri Armour Samples ’09 I graduated in 2009 from Elon, and throughout my incredible four years there, I remained incredulous each year when, each April, on a beautiful afternoon, the walls and carpets in the residence halls would be streaked with mud. Incriminating footprints would lead from the bottom of the stairwells to the top, and often, a frustrated RA (me throughout the final three years at uni) would have to report the mess to Physical Plant, who, in addition to their typical duties, had to add “cleaning up after a bunch of over-privileged brats who write condescending pieces in to the school paper blaming the school for their sloppy behavior without so much as a thanks” to their to-do list. I was horrified when someone submitted “University should minimize Festivus damages,” a piece that outlined the reasons why Elon was somehow responsible for the mess that students left behind following the  Festivus romp in the mud.  The reasoning provided for why Elon was responsible was because Elon had not provided students with hoses to clean off with, despite the fact that the school has, for years, attempted to disassociate itself from the activity.

NEWS 2/11/15 5:00pm

A letter to students from President Lambert

Dear Students, Welcome back to campus.  I hope your spring classes are off to a wonderful start. I am compelled to write as we begin a new semester to offer a reflection on a recent cowardly action by an individual who yelled a racial slur and sexually graphic insult from a moving car to an undergraduate student.

NEWS 2/11/15 4:52pm