Letters to the Editor

In response to Elon's statement on House Bill 2

3/30/16 5:44pm

Letter to the Editor in response to Dan Anderson's statement on House Bill 2 by Jameson Dion, ‘06:  Elon’s Dan Anderson made a statement recently in response to North Carolina’s legislative action.

Why weren't we told about a ticketed commencement?

11/17/15 3:46pm

My class never received any form of official communications from Provost House, Jeffrey Clark or the Senior Class Officers — the people behind this decision — about this issue, and instead heard from our parents that graduation would be ticketed.

Knowledge

11/10/15 7:38pm

As educated people, we’re encouraged to face truths about the world. Often, horrible truths.

The 72 percent

11/4/15 12:11pm

In the fall of 1999, my next-door neighbor asked me how I felt about my new place after having moved from Illinois to North Carolina two months earlier.

Help us help you create your life story

11/3/15 6:10pm

How meaningful are the relationships you’re creating? How purposeful are you in picking activities that will add depth to your learning? What is the contribution of Greek life to Elon’s social climate? If going to a house party isn’t your scene, what do you want to do on a weekend night?

True freedom is built on liberty

9/10/15 9:17am

“True freedom is built on liberty.” This Jewish lesson instructs us that there can be no freedom without equal rights — and this includes all rights: voting rights, working rights, education rights, equal pay rights, environmental justice rights, marriage equality rights, reproductive justice rights and every right found in our great nation that is offered to any one of its citizens.

Multi-Faith SAGES come to Elon University

9/4/15 10:22am

We are looking for motivated, great students to take part in a new Truitt Center program at Elon University called Multi-Faith SAGES. SAGES is for students who love religious diversity; who want to know more about their own religious and spiritual traditions, practices and beliefs and who want also to know how to interact respectfully with others.

Letter to the editor

5/6/15 1:02pm

Written by Cheri Armour Samples ’09 I graduated in 2009 from Elon, and throughout my incredible four years there, I remained incredulous each year when, each April, on a beautiful afternoon, the walls and carpets in the residence halls would be streaked with mud. Incriminating footprints would lead from the bottom of the stairwells to the top, and often, a frustrated RA (me throughout the final three years at uni) would have to report the mess to Physical Plant, who, in addition to their typical duties, had to add “cleaning up after a bunch of over-privileged brats who write condescending pieces in to the school paper blaming the school for their sloppy behavior without so much as a thanks” to their to-do list. I was horrified when someone submitted “University should minimize Festivus damages,” a piece that outlined the reasons why Elon was somehow responsible for the mess that students left behind following the  Festivus romp in the mud.  The reasoning provided for why Elon was responsible was because Elon had not provided students with hoses to clean off with, despite the fact that the school has, for years, attempted to disassociate itself from the activity.

A letter to students from President Lambert

2/11/15 5:00pm

Dear Students, Welcome back to campus.  I hope your spring classes are off to a wonderful start. I am compelled to write as we begin a new semester to offer a reflection on a recent cowardly action by an individual who yelled a racial slur and sexually graphic insult from a moving car to an undergraduate student.

A letter to students from President Lambert