UPDATED at 5:55 p.m. to include student information and fire causes

At 3:59 p.m. today, the Elon and Gibsonville fire departments responded to a fire at an off-campus student-owned house located on 201 S. Williamson Ave.

At the time of the fire, there was only one student in the house who was able to evacuate in time and is unhurt. 

The student, senior Kevin Sample was just getting out of the shower when he smelled the smoke in his house. Sample has been checked and cleared for smoke inhalation.

The student residents of 201 South Williamson stand outside of their home unhurt, after a fire started in a bedroom on the first floor.

According to Jim Giannotti, a patrol lieutenant with the Town of Elon Police Department, the fire was an unidentified electric fire.

The police say the fire has been contained to the right front bedroom. The bedroom belongs to junior Milo Lempert, whose room is now "uninhabitable" according to the Town of Elon Fire Department. Lempert's floor, T.V. and mattress have been completely destroyed by the fire.

S. Williamson Ave. has been blocked off by police vehicles in order to ensure the fires containment. 

Police vehicles block of S. Williamson Ave. to assure the fires containment.

The call to 911 was made by a passerby who was told by Sample to make the call.

Reported by Jack Norcross, Grace Morris and Anton L. Delgado.