Elon University President Leo Lambert remembers a phone call with Dwight Schar from last December, days after he and his wife donated $12 million for a number of university projects, including the School of Communications expansion.

"OK, have the bulldozers shown up yet?" Schar asked.

They arrived in May, and the construction has continued on the project that Schars' donation spearheaded. The two-story, 45,000-square foot building will be named Schar Hall in his and his wife's honor.

Elon administrators, trustees, professors and students gathered Friday in McEwen Building to dedicate the site of the expansion, which is set to be completed for next fall.

"We were able to move this construction project ahead of schedule because of [the Schars'] generous philanthropy," Lambert said.

Studio B was filled, and an overflow crowd moved to Studio A for the ceremony, after which everyone was invited to sign a steel plate that will be placed on a beam in the new building.

"Today, the School of Communications and student media is spread across six buildings around campus and in downtown Elon," said Paul Parsons, dean of the School of Communications. "Thanks to this expansion, we will be uniting all elements of the School of Communications and student media in impressive, state-of-the-art facilities for our students."

Both Lambert and Parsons remarked on the progress of the school in the last 15 years, back to when Parsons said it didn't even take up all the space in the current building. Lambert said the designs for the new facilities have been carefully scrutinized to promote student engagement.

"When you walk by Schar Hall, you will be able to see students creating media everywhere," he said.

Taylor Hoerr '17, a strategic communications major and assistant director of Live Oak Communications, and Edmond N. Moriarty III P '15, P '18, a trustee and donor, also spoke. Hoerr remembers a professor speaking during her freshman year and saying the expansion wouldn't be ready for her class to experience.

"It's amazing to me that, starting next year, the building will be open ... and I'll be here to enjoy it," Hoerr said.