The reigning conference champions will not carry a top ranking into this season.
The Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) announced this morning that the Elon women's basketball team is picked to finish second in the conference this year after capturing the title and securing a bid into the NCAA tournament last season. The James Madison University Dukes sit atop the rankings.
Here are the rest of the rankings:
1. James Madison University (78 points)
2. Elon University (74 points)
3. College of William & Mary (58 points)
4. Drexel University (51 points)
5. University of Delaware (48 points)
6. Northeastern University (47 points)
7. Hofstra University (43 points)
8. Towson University (19 points)
8. University of North Carolina Wilmington (19 points)
10. College of Charleston (13 points)
Senior guard and top scorer for the Phoenix, Shay Burnett, was named the CAA Preseason Player of the Year.
The Phoenix finished last season with a 27-7 record, going 16-2 during in-conference play. But the team will look different on the court this year as the Phoenix welcomes six freshmen to the squad.
The Phoenix will begin its final season in Alumni Gym with an exhibition game against the Anderson University Trojans on Nov. 5 at 5:30 p.m.