CORRECTION: The original version of this article states that Fluorofentanyl, an opioid analgesic, was found in Winton's blood. In fact, 2-Flurofentanyl, a research chemical variant of the drug fentanyl, was found. Elon News Network regrets the error.
According to a toxicology report from the NC Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Derek Winton's cause of death was drug toxicity involving a combination of 2-Fluorofentanyl, cocaine and alprazolam. The report classifies the manner of death as "accident."
Alprazolam, a prescription drug commonly known as Xanax, is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. 2-Flourofentanyl is a research chemical variant of fentanyl. It is currently inadequately researched and the different chemical structure would have an irregular effect on the body of someone used to fentanil or 4-fluorofentanyl. Cocaine, a psychoactive, stimulant drug, was also found in his system.
Traces of amphetamines, nicotine and caffeine were also found.
Winton, a 22-year-old fifth-year senior, died early Saturday, Sept. 10 at Alamance Regional Medical Center, according to a release from the Town of Elon Police Department. At the time, Winton was found unresponsive in his apartment, and CPR was performed. He was taken to the hospital, where we was pronounced dead.