In a time of change at Elon University, more than 2,000 alumni returned to celebrate the history of the college and embrace its growth.
Catch up with highlights from the weekend:
- Former Elon President J. Earl Danieley stole the show at the Schar Center groundbreaking ceremony. President Leo Lambert also thanked the Schar family, who made the largest donation in Elon history: a $12 million donation, split between the Schar Center and Schar Hall, the extension of the McEwen School of Communications.
- Elon's Rock the Block party brought the community together for a night of food trucks, inflatables, live music and more.
- The Elon basketball teams kicked off their seasons Friday night with their annual Late Night with the Phoenix pep rally and scrimmage.
- The Office of Alumni Engagement acknowledged seven recipients of the 2016 Distinguished Alumni Awards Oct. 21 in the McBride Gathering Space as part of the Homecoming weekend celebrations.
- Instant Laughter, Elon's improvisational comedy troupe, performed 10 different improvisation games with help from audience suggestions Oct. 21-22 in Yeager Recital Hall.
- The Elon University football team kept it close against the sixth-ranked University of Richmond in the first half, but the Spiders turned on the jets after halftime en route to a 35-7 win Saturday afternoon at Rhodes Stadium.
- The Oct. 22 LGBTQIA Alumni Network Aumni Awards ceremony recognized five members of the Elon community — three alumni and two faculty members — for their contributions toward enriching LGBTQIA culture at Elon.
- The Elon Gospel Choir moved the audience with a powerful Homecoming service in the Numen Lumen Sacred Space.
See our full photo gallery of Homecoming weekend's events here.