The temperature is going up and so is the demand for that golden summer glow. But before you start slathering on the tanning oil, you are going to want to pump the brakes on your tanning schedule and start pumping out the sunscreen instead.
WHY OPT FOR SUNSCREEN
Getting one blistering sunburn during your youth could more than double your chances of developing the deadliest form of skin cancer later in life. To make sure you aren’t another statistic, its important to take these easy, but necessary steps.
TIPS FOR APPLYING
Continue to rub the lotion in until it is fully absorbed and reapply regularly every two hours.
Always reapply immediately after you are in the water (“waterproof” is no guarantee!).
For those hard-to-reach spots like your middle-back, be sure to have someone else help you out to make sure you aren’t missing any sections (preferably someone attractive; it’s a win-win.)
COMMON EXCUSES DEBUNKED:
- “I never burn! I just get dark!”
- Putting on sunscreen isn’t just about avoiding unattractive and painful burns. No matter what your skin tone, everyone is susceptible to skin cancer and needs to take the precautionary steps. According to cancer.org, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the US and more than 2 million people are diagnosed annually. To be safe, always use at least SPF 30.
- “I’m not laying out in the sun, so I’ll be fine.”
- Even if you aren’t soaking up the sun in a swimsuit, you can still get brutal burns if you don’t protect yourself. Try choosing foundations and/or daily moisturizers that already have SPF in them so that you never forget to arm yourself against UV rays. Key spots that people often forget to protect are ears, hips, feet and lips.
- “I just need a healthy glow.”
- There is nothing healthy about UV rays! If you are really stuck on getting your golden glow this summer, try gradual tanning products like Aveeno Continuous Radiance Moisturizing Lotion. You’ll avoid those telltale streaks that one-time tanning products can give and save yourself from the harsh UV rays.
Your flatiron may not being the only thing frying your hair. Believe it or not, the same rays that are burning your skin could be taking a toll on your tresses as well. To avoid having brittle strands this summer, consider adding some of these products to your daily routine.
- SPF Shampoo: If you don’t have the time or patience to give your hair any extra TLC, try replacing your shampoo with an SPF-infused shampoo and/or conditioner. This is especially important if you have color treated hair. Try Brazilian Shampoo with Keratin/SPF available at http://www.extendedlengths.com.
- SPF Serum: While you’re styling your hair, consider adding an SPF serum to your roots, especially if you are styling your hair with heat products. Otherwise, try to avoid adding any unnecessary products to your routine. The products will make your hair even hotter during the day and cause more breakage in the hot weather. For boys with buzz cuts, try Axe Crew Cut Buzzed Look Cream with sunscreen.
- Hat: The easiest and arguably the most fashionable method is topping of your outfit with a stylish hat. Whether it’s a baseball cap, fedora or a diva-esque floppy sunhat, you’ll protect your hair and your face and look good doing it.